This week students in Year 7 showcased their culinary skills at the end of a sixteen week course in food and nutrition.
As a cohort they have planned, prepared and cooked a wide variety of savoury dishes suitable for breakfast and lunch. Year 7 learned how important it is to eat a balanced diet and explored ingredients based on the advice given by Public Health England, the Eatwell Guide and the 8 Tips for Eating Well.
The final dish, savoury curried rice gave students the opportunity to illustrate their practical skills in food preparation; use of equipment, hygiene, safety and the presentation of food. We are pleased to share our results and final lesson celebration. If you would like to test your own culinary skills here is the recipe for you to try.
Recipe for Savoury Curried Rice
half a red pepper
2x 5ml spoons of oil 150g long grain rice
550ml boiling water 1 veg stock cube
10ml curry powder
handful of coriander leaves
1) Prepare your vegetables: Peel and chop onions, dice pepper, slice mushrooms, remove seeds and chop tomatoes.
2) Fry onion until soft , add mushrooms and red pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3) Stir in rice.
4) Mix the stock cube with the water.
5) Add the stock, peas and curry powder.
6) Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the rice is tender.
7) To serve place the rice in a bowl and sprinkle with the chopped tomato and coriander leaves.
We look forward to welcoming our second cohort of Year 7 into food and nutrition.
Health and Creative Studies Teacher